Washtenaw Camp Placement Association (WCPA) is a fifty-four year old non-profit that provides camperships to boys and girls who would not otherwise be able to attend camp. More than 9,700 camperships have been awarded to date!
We hope that you will consider referring one or more students who would benefit from a summer camp experience. A campership is defined as one or two weeks of expense-paid resident summer camp, plus services that may include clothing and gear, medical examinations and transportation to and from camp.
WCPA partners with six different camps located in Michigan, including YMCA Storer Camps in the Jackson area and Ann Arbor YMCA Camp Al-Gon-Quian at Burt Lake.
We welcome referrals from schools and agencies all across the county for youngsters who would benefit from camp, but do not have the funds to attend on their own. Applications are accepted providing:
- The child goes to school and/or lives in Washtenaw County.
- The child will enter Grade 5 or above in the fall. (must currently be in Grade 4 or above)
A Campership Application is not valid until the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Part A, Parent / Guardian Form
1. Part A must be filled out completely by a parent/guardian and returned to the WCPA office at the address below.
2. Also, the form must be signed by the parent/guardian.
- Part B, Referral Form
1. Part B must be completed by a teacher, counselor or social worker who is currently working with the child.
2. The person who is completing the confidential Referral Form is responsible for returning it directly to WCPA at the address below.
The deadline for Campership Applications is Tuesday, January 31, 2017. Applications will still be accepted after the deadline, but the applicant will most likely be placed on the waiting list. Each applicant will be given careful consideration, and all information is confidential.
We will be placing more than 100 campers; last year over half the applicants were offered a campership. If the child is awarded a campership, the Referral Source will give the good news to the family and will meet with them in a timely manner to complete forms required by the camps. If a child does not receive a campership in the first round, there is still a possibility of a place at camp becoming available later due to a cancellation.
Questions? E-mail: CampPlacement@sbcglobal.net or call 734.971.4537